Wednesday, November 25, 2009

All My Bags Are Packed....

When I was a little girl, I remember lots of wonderful Christmas' with my dad's side of the family. We would sit in my grandparents' finished basement and laugh and talk 'til the wee hours of the night. I remember times when my Uncle David and Aunt Diane would pull out their guitar and sing for us. I remember loving these times SO much that I actually thought I would start playing the guitar. I got one for Christmas.....but that talent never took off.

One of my favorite songs to sing was "Leaving on a Jet Plane". I remember I would change the words around to fit the occasion.

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.
I'm standing here outside your door.
I hate to wake you up to say good-bye.

The dawn is breaking it's early morn.
The taxi's waiting, he's blowing his horn.
Already I'm so lonesome, I could cry.

So kiss me and smile for me.
Tell me that your remember me.
Hold me like I'm never going to go.

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane.
Don't know when I'll be back again.
Oh, Friends. I hate to go...."

Obviously, I changed the words around again to fit our departure.

Let's just say that it is all starting to sink in.

We are tasked with packing our house, cleaning our house, determining what needs to go in the crate, deliver the items for the crate in 3 weeks to Charlotte, then live out of 2 suitcases each for the next month or so until our visas arrive.

Our pastor this month is doing a series called "Baggage". How appropriate, right? But, one thing that I have realized lately is this: Even though this process is hard, it is easier to decide what to physically leave behind versus what to emotionally leave behind. The baggage that has stayed for all these years- baggage from the past, baggage from life, is harder to leave. In fact, in the face of this newfound, wonderful-at-times STRESS, it is rearing its ugly head all the more. All my insecurities and worries are hitting me tenfold lately. I'm coughing it up to the hormonal time of the month....I tend to get just plain moody....but I pray that in the coming weeks, I am able to leave this emotional baggage in the states....

No comments: