Wednesday, August 22, 2007

2 Birthing Classes Down, 10 To Go!

Let me just start off this post with the simple fact that I love my husband very much!

Slowly, we are realizing that Caleb has many preconceived notions about what birth is going to be like. My husband honestly thinks that his role consists of 1) showing up and 2) looking "fatherly" in his hospital scrubs. I can picture the big day and his grand entrance : Arms out, "I'm here, where's the baby?"

His notions have been shattered recently. I realized this when he said to me (following our 2nd of 12 birthing classes), "So, my job is to try everything that you used to like knowing that none of these things will actually work in labor? And then, when I feel like a complete failure, because you're still in pain, I should be patient and try again?"

Let's just say, this is going to be a learning process for us both! He has been absolutely wonderful, though. And, the classes have given us something different and funny to discuss about the baby, versus how incredibly hateful and hormonal I have been (My poor little brother didn't see all of that coming when he stayed here with us last week. I still feel terrible about that!)

Anyway, the classes are very informative. We are still learning about pregnancy exercises and what to eat, etc. Next week, we will start to learn all about first stage labor. Caleb is learning things he never thought he would ever know...and things he would never have asked to learn.

More to come about these classes....

No comments: