Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Happy 5 Months Little Ben!

It has been a very long week. I'm not sure when I last wrote about what has been going on, so forgive me if I repeat information.

On Friday the 16th, I got a call from the daycare provider stating that Ben had a rash on his face and a leaky eye. Called the doctor and set up an appointment. Turns out Ben had pink eye. We quickly got the eye drops prescription, as it is contagious within the first 24 hours. All day, Caleb and I felt like our eyes were on fire, but we never caught it.....the mind likes to play tricks on you though. He was better for his dedication that week-end. Oh yeah...I forgot to mention how I was sick the whole week before his dedication. He gave me a nasty cold/virus...yuck!

Then, on Thursday the 22nd, I got another call from the daycare stating Ben had a 102.4 fever. Caleb picked him up and we gave him Tylenol for the first time. The fever went down to 101, but never really broke. The doctor's office stated it was our choice to bring him in, but that there was really nothing they could do for him at that time. Caleb went in to work that night and I was on Ben duty. I kept checking on him and noticed he was getting progressively hotter. I stuck the pacifier thermometer in him around 9pm and it read 103.4. I started to freak out....since this type of thermometer reads .2 to .5 lower than others. I was able to talk to my friend Katherine (who has worked with babies in the NICU). Ben was given more Tylenol and a sponge bath. He looked so pitiful and he was on fire. It broke my heart.....yet he kept smiling the whole time! His fever dropped to 102 again and finally broke in the morning at 9:30. He slept with us and I don't know how many times I took that little guy's temp. It was super scary....oh yeah! and Caleb came home to help me. I'm not good at making decisions and I needed him there in case we had to go to the hospital.

Things are relatively back to normal. I know it's kind of early, but Ben has been going to bed around 6:45 at night and has been sleeping pretty soundly (knock on wood). We usually have to wake up between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning. He was out of sorts all week-end, though, so we have no clue whether his is growing, teething or still sick. It's hard being a parent sometimes.....He depends on us for everything!

So, today marks Ben's 5 month "birthday". I can't believe he is growing so fast! He is such a wonderful little boy and we are so blessed to have him in our lives. His little smile makes everything right in the world. It's hard to believe how much he loves me.....I want to leave work right now and go pick him up =0)

1 comment:

Garner Gang said...

Aww! Poor little guy (and poor mommy and daddy for having to worry). It sounds like you guys have all had a really long week so far. I am glad to hear that things are getting better. You guys have one cold under your belt now, you will be ready when Joe and I call in 8-9 Months with our little sicky.