Monday, September 01, 2008

Mystery Solved??

After 3 crazy weeks of Ben being sick, I had an epiphany.

I can't believe it took me 3 long weeks to figure out what was making him so sick!

I was at a play group with the girls from my Bradley Method birthing class. Stephanie was telling me about how she learned that her daughter has food allergies. Did you know that if your child's nose is running, it may be a food allergy?? I thought it was just a very long cold. It all makes so much sense now. (I put two and two together....Caleb and I did not get sick this time...we usually ALWAYS get sick When Ben is sick!)

We switched Ben's formula about 3 weeks ago. We switched to the Target Brand of Enfamil Gentlease. All along, he has been on Carnation Nestle GoodStart.

Needless to say, we SWITCHED back. Wouldn't you know, his nose stopped running, his eye gunk is back to its "normal blocked ductage" state and his poops have regulated. (I'm sure this all more than you wish to know). I just hope that this realization will help someone out in the future.

We did take Ben back to the Doc on Friday....he suggested switching to soy. I thought he contradicted himself since Ben is FINE on breast milk which is 10x more potent than regular formula. I think the logical step it to go back to what worked before. We are back to the expensive formula and I stopped taking my magnesium, vitamin B-6 cocktail. The doctors swore this shouldn't affect him, but we all know how Ben reacted to other herbal supplements (i.e. fenugreek).

I had a headache Friday night, so the cocktail obviously wasn't working anyway....not sure how to fix the monthly migraine. Open to any suggestions....

1 comment:

Marlena said...

Isn't that fun trying to figure out between cold and allergies. I am in the same boat with Nicole. Cutting out dairy to see what happens. Joys of parenting....